- Bachelor or Master's degree in highly quantitative field (CS, machine learning, mathematics, statistics) or equivalent experience.
- Experience applying various machine learning techniques, and understanding the key parameters that affect their performance.
- Experience developing experimental and analytic plans for data modeling processes, use of strong baselines, and the ability to accurately determine cause and effect relationships.
- Have a history of building systems that capture and utilize large data sets in order to quantify performance via metrics or KPIs.
- Understanding of relevant statistical measures such as confidence intervals, significance of error measurements, development and evaluation data sets, etc.
- Experienced in using multiple data science methodologies to solve complex business problems.
- Experienced in handling large data sets using SQL and databases in a business environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Thrive in a fast-paced, innovative environment.
‘Product Advisor’ is our program within Alexa Shopping to make Alexa the world’s most knowledgeable expert on all products and services, helping customers with all their purchasing needs. Our vision for Alexa is to help customers, as their favourite Product Advisor, in their home (e.g. via Echo Family Devices), on Amazon (e.g. on the Amazon mobile app or Desktop), and on the go, in all stages of their shopping journey. This includes providing inspiration and assisting in product discovery, where customers’ specific needs are not crystallised yet (“What are the best noise cancelation headphones?”) and offering proactive help, where Alexa can predict customers’ needs (“There is a new answer to a question you asked on Amazon”).
We are looking for an experienced Data Scientist to be part of our growing team in London that is focusing on building natural, engaging follow-on conversations with Alexa to learn more about products they have already discovered or added to their cart. You will be solving complex natural language processing problems using signals from customer behaviour, improving existing language understanding models and answering techniques or operationalising entirely new models to improve the customer experience.
This is a blue-sky role that gives you a chance to roll up your sleeves and dive into big data sets in order to build simulations and experimentation systems at scale, build optimization algorithms and leverage cutting-edge technologies across Amazon. This is an opportunity to think big about how to solve a challenging problem for the customers and understand their requirements for products.
You will work closely with product and technical leaders throughout Alexa Shopping and will be responsible for influencing technical decisions in areas of development/modelling that you identify as critical future product offerings. You will identify both enablers and blockers of adoption for product understanding, and build programs to raise the bar in terms of understanding and answering contextual product questions and predict the shaping of customer utterances as we move from simple to complex utterances.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in Science work, business analytics and have the aptitude to incorporate new approaches and methodologies while dealing with ambiguities in sourcing processes. Excellent business and communication skills are a must to develop and define key business questions and to build data sets that answer those questions. You should have a demonstrated ability to think strategically and analytically about business, product, and technical challenges. Further, you must have the ability to build and communicate compelling value propositions, and work across the organization to achieve consensus. This role requires a strong passion for customers, a high level of comfort navigating ambiguity, and a keen sense of ownership and drive to deliver results.
- Master's degree in Statistics, Applied Math, Operations Research, Economics, or a related quantitative field with at least 4+ years of working experience as a Data Scientist.
- Experienced in writing academic-styled papers for presenting both the methodologies used and results for data science projects.
- Hypothesis testing (including statistical hypothesis testing) and experimental design
- Experience with unstructured textual data