Get to know the team
How do we ensure customers get their Food on time, even when it rains?
What determines the right price for a JustGrab ride? How has that answer changed during COVID?
How can we reduce driver partners' wait times at restaurants?
Why do some driver partners in Jakarta prefer to take GrabBike jobs rather than GrabExpress jobs?
The [Regional Marketplace] team takes on a set of diverse and challenging questions in the mobility, logistics and economics space within Grab. We focus on balancing Grab’s multi-sided marketplace across our ecosystem of driver partners, customers, merchant partners, and agents. Our work sees us optimise experiences for our customers, contributes to providing growing income opportunities for our driver partners and merchants, and drives growth, efficiency and profitability for Grab overall.
The team is based in Singapore and works with tech teams and operations teams across all of our 8 markets in Southeast Asia. Our core work covers pricing, fulfillment experience, driver retention & incentives and customer retention & promos - but our scope frequently expands to tackle issues beyond these topics.
Get to know the role
In this role you will be working closely with Grab product teams, other regional teams based in Singapore, and country operations teams on the ground.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Acting as a Business Owner for some of Grab’s products - Shaping the direction of our tech roadmap through data-driven insights combined with a hyper-local understanding of our markets; you will also be responsible for business impacts of these products.
- Making yourself the regional expert on a set of product features and how they interact with the wider ecosystem. You will be providing guidance on best practice to operations teams and making actionable recommendations to balance the tradeoffs in our marketplace.
- Supporting our local teams in launching new features in the market and optimising existing features through experimentation, causal inferencing or other suitable analytical methods.
- Providing strategic advice & thought leadership on business-critical issues through rigorous analysis paired with structured, big picture thinking.
The day to day
The day to day will see you working on varied tasks and projects, a selection of projects could include:
- Working with product managers and product analysts to impact-size and prioritise product feature lists for our next development sprints.
- Working with local teams to plan and design experiments for demand, supply and market clearance levers (e.g. via changes in pricing, driver incentives, driver dispatch logic).
- Running data-driven research to uncover new insights to inform product strategy, operational initiatives or changes in existing product configurations.
- Conducting independent analysis of marketplace issues identified in a specific market; delivering insights & recommendations to our ops teams to balance such issues.
- Sharing a recent piece of analysis or details of a new product with the rest of the team to provide coaching to help with similar projects.
- Presenting a strategic opportunity assessment & analysis to leadership.
- Writing a playbook to be used by operations teams which provides a mental model and documentation to tackle common marketplace situations supported by qualitative and/or quantitative insights.
The must haves
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience (for example in Analytics, Business Intelligence, Government, Management Consulting, or strategy roles in a tech company)
- Strong analytical knowledge - Prior experience in handling large, complex, high velocity data; familiar with common statistical, analytical and ML techniques; willing to continue to learn/apply new techniques as required.
- Prior experience with designing, running and analysing A/B tests or randomised controlled experiments.
- Strong presentation skills - Ability to distill insights & articulate an actionable point of view to non-technical audiences; Comfortable presenting to senior stakeholders; Good command of storytelling and presentation techniques (e.g. slide making, data visualisation).
- Convincing meeting presence and strong stakeholder management / influencing skills - Ability to get buy-in and drive decisions within the space of a meeting.
- Problem solving & can do attitude - Willing to learn quickly and understand the root cause of problems; able to work with a multidisciplinary team to propose creative solutions.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and solve ambiguous problems that may evolve in scope or complexity.
- Good understanding of SQL and R/Python to work with data, including common packages/libraries.
- Willing to travel (subject to travel guidance by Grab)
Good to have
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Economics, Finance, Psychology, Anthropology, Sociology, Computer Science, Data Science or related fields.
- Interest and experience in real-world applications of data science and data analytics - such as NLP, ML, Network analysis, spatial, econometrics or time-series analysis.
- Prior experience in training data science models using common machine learning libraries.
- Prior experience in Product Management.
- Prior experience in an operations role in a ‘direct to consumer’, online business or startup