DWP. Digital with Purpose.
- Can you apply data science to help us design and deliver better public services and transform how UK government works?
- Can you use a variety of data handling tools to harness the power of data (or do you want to learn how)?
- Want to grow your data science skills and career, in a cutting-edge environment and as part of a community of experts?
We are looking for Data Scientists to work on Health & Disability Digital, products and services used by millions of people to find work, access payments, and get support.
Data. Work. People.
In Health & Disability Digital we design and build services that people with a health condition or disability use to get the support they need.
We need a Data Scientist with skills like yours to help us optimise the success of our work in this space.
You'll be identifying business needs, data gathering, specifying requirements, selecting appropriate tools and techniques, conducting analysis, and delivering ongoing reports and presentations.
You will collaborate with users and stakeholders to find solutions for underlying business problems and inefficiencies - and we'll give you the freedom to go beyond routine questioning.
You will work in our cloud platform, using DataBricks and other notebook environments to deliver analysis and build models in SQL and python. You will use a variety of data sources, like event-based application data, Google Analytics, DWP admin data, clerical MI.
You'll be part of great team and a brilliant community of purpose-driven data professionals, enabling you to share your knowledge and experience as well as learn from others.
Whatever stage you're at in your career journey, we'll invest in your skills and your well-being to make sure you're the best Data Scientist you can be.
What skills, knowledge and experience will you need?
- Experience of leading or delivering innovative data-driven solutions on large or complex datasets, including gathering, manipulating and assessing disparate data, applying analytical techniques and visualising results
- You can tackle loosely-defined problems, identifying where and how data can support others in their work.
- You can narrow down the scope of explorative work to deliver early value
- Experience of a range of data science techniques (for example - classification, NLP and clustering), with expertise in techniques including theoretical basis and application
- Advanced SQL and Python (or similar query-based or high-level programming)
- You're a good communicator. You can present complex analysis clearly and concisely to your audience, using the right method - eg reports, dashboards, presentations. You can explain the implications of analytical evidence and provide recommendations.
- You have good stakeholder and relationship building skills, which you use to influence others, advocate for data use and educate others.
- Experience of using version control software (such as git) is great but not essential
Details. Wages. Perks.
You'll join us in our brilliant digital hubs located in Birmingham, Blackpool, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle or Sheffield.
We also have all the tools and tech we need to enable our people to work flexibly. We work a hybrid model - expect to be in the office 40% of the time, with the rest home working.
In return for your skills, we offer a competitive pay up to £55,901.
You'll be eligible for a brilliant civil service pension with employer contributions worth over 27%.
You'll get a generous leave package, starting at 26 days and rising to 31 days over time, plus all the usual bank holidays, and the option to take extra days off on flexi leave.
We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working, flexi hours and flexi days
- Hybrid working: some time in a hub with the team, some time at home
- Family-friendly policies
- Time off for volunteering and charitable giving
- Bring your authentic self to work with 'I Can Be Me in DWP'
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it's even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Working in an award-winning environment and culture
- Professional development, coaching, mentoring and career progression opportunities
CLICK APPLY for more information and to start your application