Ready to take a different path? Passionate about Technology? Love horse racing? Eager to work in a rapidly growing industry? Fascinated by the world of gambling and casinos? If you answered YES to any of these questions, the 1/ST TECHNOLOGY Group could be the right fit for you!
1/ST TECHNOLOGY is a global group of Technology, service, and wagering companies that provides B2B and B2C wagering and betting infrastructure for the horse racing and casino industries. Our companies and products include AmTote, Xpressbet, 1/ST BET, and PariMAX, and we are always eager to add enthusiastic and knowledgeable members to our growing team. Whether you’re a railbird, gamer, or you’re just passionate about Technology, and we’d love to find out if there’s a spot where you can thrive in the 1/ST TECHNOLOGY Group.
At 1/ST Technology, innovation drives us to create dynamic digital experiences in the horse racing and gaming industry. We are searching for a highly talented Backend Data Engineer to help us drive that innovation. Your role works cross-functionally with business domain experts, analytics, and engineering teams to design and implement new databases. You will design, implement, and scale data pipelines transforming various data types into actionable data models, enabling actionable insights. You will provide hands-on technical support to build trusted and reliable data sources.
You are experienced in Cloud infrastructure ETL (Extract Transform Load) processes and implementations, Cloud services, data warehouses, PostgressDB, data pipelining tools, data visualization and communication, ETL layers, and performance tuning. With an emphasis on effective collaboration with key stakeholders, you will be responsible for assessing business requirements, collection, and identification of technical specifications and the subsequent development of technical solutions. Your role is a crucial contributor to the successful delivery of business intelligence information to the entire organization.
Competencies’ that drive success: Business Acumen; Communication Proficiency; Customer Focus; Decision Making; Leadership; Organizational Skills; Personal Effectiveness & Credibility; Problem Solving & Analysis; Project Management; Results Driven; Strategic Thinking/Agility; Technology Skills; Time Management and Teamwork Orientation/Development.
- Collaborate and participate in the design and implementation of robust and scalable databases ensuring all systems meet the business/company requirements as well as industry practices
- Document technology specifications and ensure any new technology solutions are optimal for meeting needs; leverage existing technologies when possible
- Translate business requirements into data models that are easy to understand and used by different disciplines across the company
- Work collaboratively with analysis and development teams to create standards and best practices for BI (Business Intelligence) and data science solutions
- Partner with domain business experts, data analysts, and engineering teams to build foundational data sets that are trusted, well understood, aligned with business strategy, and enables self-service
- Continually work to improve data reliability and quality and supports ongoing incorporation of new data sources
- Develop a quality framework to ensure delivery of high-quality data and analyses to stakeholders
- Identify, document, and promote best practices
- Troubleshoot and solve production Database issues
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Data Science or related field; or 7 years of related experience in lieu of degree.
- 3+ years of experience in database development and tools. Ideally, this includes: ETL, data modeling, complex queries, performance tuning, and stored procedures/functions
- 3+ years of programming experience using one or more of Python, Java or Scala, C#.net
- 2+ years working with Cloud technologies related to Data Science.
- Prior experience with using a typical set of tools for building data pipelines: streaming, ingestion, and processing pipelines
- Contributed to a nascent data ecosystem and building a strong data foundation for the company
- A proven track record of successfully delivering large data-centric projects
- A broad, enterprise-wide view of the business with the understanding of the roles of strategy, processes, and capabilities, enabling technologies and governance
- Strong skills in design and implementation of logical and physical approaches to managing and analyzing large volumes of data with the knowledge of best practices
- An understanding of Agile/Scrum development environment
- Strong relationship management skills; able to interface effectively with all organizational levels: users, team members, and management
- The ability to produce high-quality documentation of business and system requirements, system design, data architecture, and training materials
- Experience with data visualization tools such as Periscope is a plus.
- Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously with a team spanning various geographical locations and outsourcing
- Experience in leading and/or collaborating with teams spanning multiple geographical locations and outsourcing
- An openness to learn about and understand the ‘niche’ industry
- Effective, consistent, and impeccable communication, interpersonal, leadership, organizational, people management, presentation, project management, teamwork, and training skills
- Exhibited the behaviors of a self-starter, self-motivator, detail-oriented, and are a highly organized professional
- Structured problem solving and expert prioritization skills
- Demonstrated and maintained flexibility and can adapt to changes within industry and company
Preferred Experience and/or Education:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- Wagering/gaming industry experience
- Knowledge of horse racing, pari-mutuel wagering, gaming, sports wagering, and/or social marketplace industries
- Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes a competitive base salary and benefits
- Salary Range: 120k to 140k (dependent on level of experience)
- Requires travel up to 5% to 10%, including travel outside of the local area
- Base Work Location – Position based in, Hunt Valley, MD with remote work consideration available.
- Note: Due to pandemic and based on business direction, positions are remote work full time until otherwise notified.