Who We Are
Boston Consulting Group partners with leaders in business and society to tackle their most important challenges and capture their greatest opportunities. BCG was the pioneer in business strategy when it was founded in 1963. Today, we help clients with total transformation-inspiring complex change, enabling organizations to grow, building competitive advantage, and driving bottom-line impact.
To succeed, organizations must blend digital and human capabilities. Our diverse, global teams bring deep industry and functional expertise and a range of perspectives to spark change. BCG delivers solutions through leading-edge management consulting along with technology and design, corporate and digital ventures—and business purpose. We work in a uniquely collaborative model across the firm and throughout all levels of the client organization, generating results that allow our clients to thrive.
Practice Area Profile
BCG GAMMA combines innovative skills in computer science, artificial intelligence, statistics, and machine learning with deep industry expertise. The BCG GAMMA team is comprised of world-class data scientists and business consultants who specialize in the use of advanced analytics to get breakthrough business results. Our teams own the full analytics value-chain end to end: framing new business challenges, building fact-bases, designing innovative algorithms, creating scale through designing tools and apps, and training colleagues and clients in new solutions.
Here at BCG GAMMA, youll have the chance to work with clients in every BCG region and every industry area. We are also a core member of a rapidly growing analytics enterprise at BCG - a constellation of teams focused on driving practical results for BCG clients by applying leading edge analytics approaches, data, and technology.
What You'll Do
We are seeking a strong candidate with advanced analytics experience to fill an exciting Lead Data Scientist (LDS) position within BCG Gamma. The LDS is a valuable expert in Data Science and Analytics and will design and build analytics methodologies, solutions, and products to deliver value to BCG's clients in collaboration with case teams. Exceptional candidates will also show an analytical curiosity, going beyond the immediate requirements of the project to find deep insights that others have missed. They will ask questions about outliers, seek to understand the fundamental drivers of advantage and look for clues that may change the basis of competition.
The LDS will be involved in all aspects of advanced analytics, from helping to create relevant products and service offerings by working with priority global Practice Areas, to leading and executing analytics work and continuing to expand the analytical foundation and competitive value proposition. The LDS will collaborate directly client and wider BCG case teams and will manage the analytics components of client deliverables. The LDS is responsible for clarifying initial objectives, setting up analytics work plan and methodology, organizing the data scientist members of the team, quality assurance, and managing scope and work planning throughout the project.
The LDS is expected to provide mentoring, coaching, and career development to (senior) analytics associate and data scientist team members on both a formal and informal basis.
As the field of advanced analytics is rapidly evolving, the LDS is responsible for staying current on leading-edge business applications, tools and approaches, proactively working with the Analytics
Leadership to enhance offerings that deliver competitive advantage to BCG.
What You'll Bring (Experience & Qualifications)
- 7+ years of relevant industry work experience providing advanced analytics solutions, or 5
- years consulting experience
- PhD or other Advanced degree required in a field linked to business analytics, statistics or geo- statistics, operations research, geography, applied mathematics, computer science, engineering, or related field
- Looking for individuals with deep technical and data science expertise, acute strategic and analytical skills, ability to lead and persuade, drive and energy, and desire to work in a project based environment on strategic issues.
- Strong record of professional accomplishment and leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage projects and teams.
- Deep Technical and Data Science Expertise: The successful candidate will have a wealth of experience with applying advanced analytics to a variety of business situations, such that they can efficiently and effectively advise multiple teams on the best path to uncovering critical insights for clients.
- Experience in core analytics methods (one or more of the following): Statistics (t-tests, ANOVA), variable reduction (FA, PCA), Segmentation/clustering techniques , Geographic cluster recognition and manipulation techniques, Predictive modeling: e.g. logistic regression, linear regression, Network analysis (location-allocation, travelling sales person, vehicle routing problem), Time series analysis: e.g. ARIMA, VAR, etc., Machine learning: e.g. LCA, Random Forest, neural networks, Spatio-temporal analysis, Time series analysis (ARIMA, VAR, etc.), Text mining & unstructured data analytics, Simulation: e.g. MC, dynamic, discrete event, Optimization: e.g. linear programming, heuristic
- Familiarity with a broad base of analytics tools (one or more of the following): Data management: e.g. Excel, SQL, PostGRESql, Hadoop/Hive, Alteryx, Analytics platforms: e.g. SAS, R, RapidMiner, SPSS, Data visualization: e.g. Tableau, GIS toolkits (ESRI, Quantum GIS, MapInfo or similar), ESRI Network Analyst, RouteSmart, RoadNet or similar, GPS data analysis a plus, Programming and/or scripting experience: e.g. Python, C#, VBA, Java, Perl, etc.
- Experience in applied analytics for business problem solving: Eg. Extensive experience building analytical solutions for (one or more of the following), Pricing and promotional effectiveness, Delivery fleet consolidation, Loyalty program effectiveness, Network real estate reorganization, Customer segmentation and targeting, Delivery footprint/territory expansion (or reduction), Customer LTV maximization, Cost modeling of transportation & logistics operations, Churn prevention, Strong project management skills, Others a plus
- Analytical and Conceptual thinking: A successful candidate will be able to conceptualize business problems and drive frameworks. The LDS will produce leading edge business models and must be able to work in a hypothesis-based environment where inductive rather than deductive thinking is the norm.
- Engagement Management and Work with Case Teams: The successful candidate will have demonstrated ability to manage engagements, client relationships, provide “thought leadership” to teams and able to act as a full member of a BCG project team. They must own analytical modules from work planning to creating impact. He/she must scope, manage and lead work for data science teams, providing expertise on methodology of advanced analytics. Strong presence, strong collaborator and leadership skills and ability to operate effectively in a matrix organization are a must.
- Client Relationship Management: The candidate with have a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and professionally with clients, delivering impactful solutions and presenting work in a concise and thoughtful manner, while demonstrating technical expertise (fluency in English is required). Strong business focus with experience with 80/20 approaches.
- Analytics Innovation: Must be an autonomous self starter with a passion for analytics and problem solving. He/she will help build new Analytics service offerings that grow our portfolio of products and will captures proprietary content as well as analytics insights to the knowledge infrastructure. The candidate will support the creation of proposal/selling documents and provide perspective on relevant Analytics value propositions.
- Personnel Development: The successful candidate will have demonstrated ability to guide junior data scientists in their consulting skill sets, motivate them, and build the company’s foundation for future growth. This will take place in both formal and ad-hoc settings.