Marshmallow’s Mission 🚀
Definitely not a sweet shop.
We're the tech company making insurance more accessible and more affordable for as many people as possible.
We’re proud of our journey so far. We’ve helped hundreds of thousands of customers get fairer cover, all while polishing a 4.6 star Trustpilot score. But we’re just getting started.
Over the next 2 years, we’re planning to help even more people by launching products and services across different sectors and countries 🚀
If you're looking for a challenge, our next chapter is set to be an exciting one 🙌
How we work
We've created a culture of trust which allows us to work autonomously without fear of failure, to challenge decisions, and be heard. It empowers us to drive our own careers and to move at unparalleled speed. And because we're treading new ground, we're all mastering new skills along the way.
Explore our culture handbook to find out more about life at Marshmallow, or read our blog!
The Data Science Team
We're here to generate insights and actions from all the data we can get our hands on. This includes analytics, predictive modelling, and prescriptive recommendations. We deliver high-impact work to the business, focusing on high-risk, high-reward projects, and making sure all decisions are data-driven.
We’re looking for a Senior Data Scientist to help us move beyond the huge impact we’ve had in pricing and fraud and break into new areas of the business. More and more we are seeing opportunities in other areas of the business such as claims and with our new telematics product, Miles. We believe a Data Scientist with a proactive nature and a real desire to own and drive a business area forward could have a huge impact.
Claims is a relatively untapped area when it comes to Analytics and Data Science, it plays a huge role in how the business performs and dealing with the distress a customer experiences when they have an accident. You could be looking into problems related to identifying fraudulent claims, facilitating automation for claims handlers, all the way through to thinking about how we change customer driving behaviour to reduce accidents in the first place.
This is only the beginning of Data Science’s journey to be a key innovator at Marshmallow and in the wider insurance industry.
What you’ll be doing
- Uncover and drive forward new high-impact opportunities in Claims, previously untouched by Data Science
- Work within a cross-functional team (engineers, designers, analysts, product manager) and become an expert in your area
- Influence and input to the team’s roadmap and priorities using data to quantify new opportunities
- Be a champion of data and solidify data-driven process within the team
- Design and monitor A/B tests isolate the impact of initiatives
Who you are
- You have a commercial mindset, focussed on delivering impact to the business as quickly as possible
- You can communicate clearly with people of all technical levels and disciplines.
- You want to discover and scope new opportunities that may be uncharted territory
- You see the value in and push for solid data foundations, facilitating more complex analytics/ML projects
What we're looking for from you
Experiences that are essential
- Experience building future-proof data models and analytics products
- Experience driving business action and impact from data-driven insights
- Leading projects end to end from a technical perspective
- Experience developing ML models to answer business cases
- Strong coding ability in Python, SQL
- Ability to manipulate large data sets
- At least 3-4 years commercial experience
Experiences that will help you
- Experience working in cross-functional teams
- Experience managing a team
- Experience in a high-growth company
Perks of the job
- Flexi-office working – Spend at least 2 days a week with your team in our new collaborative London office. The rest is up to you! 🏠
- Work from home budget – Get a personal budget to set up your home office 🖥️
- Learning and training – Personal budgets for books and training courses to help you grow in your role. Plus 2 days a year - on us! - to further your skillset 🤓
- Mental wellbeing support – Access therapy and mental health sessions through Oliva 💚
- Equity – Get options in Marshmallow as part of your offer, and have a real stake in the company’s success 📈
- Private health care - Enjoy all the benefits Vitality has to offer, including reduced gym memberships and discounts on smartwatches 🏥
Plus all the rest; 33 days holiday (including bank holidays), pension, cycle to work scheme, monthly team socials and company-wide socials every month!
We break it up into 3 stages:
- Initial call with Luke, our Talent Acquisition Partner (45 mins)
- A previous experience interview where you will discuss your journey so far and ways of working with Paul, our Data Science Manager (45 minutes)
- A technical interview with one of our Senior Data Scientists (1 hr)
- A culture interview with a bar raiser to see if your work style fits our processes and values (1 hour)
- We’ll let you know if you’re invited to an interview or not. But, as a small team with a lot of applications to consider, we can’t give personal feedback on each application.
Everyone belongs at Marshmallow
At Marshmallow, we want to hire people from all walks of life with the passion and skills needed to help us achieve our company mission. To do that, we're committed to hiring without judgement, prejudice or bias.
We encourage everyone to apply for our open roles. Gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or background does not affect how we process job applications.
We're working hard to build an inclusive culture that empowers our people to do their best work, have fun and feel that they belong.
To meet our regulatory obligations as an FCA-authorised financial services company, we need to do some background checks on all new hires. That means carrying out a DBS check and making sure you don't have any live criminal proceedings. Feel free to ask our Talent Acquisition team if you have any questions about this!