Are you looking for an opportunity to join a company that values people and innovation while placing the highest priority on enhancing the lives of their customers and community? Are you a motivated, passionate, and highly skilled technical and engineering talent with a compelling urge to serve a meaningful purpose and to make a difference? At EPB, we put our customers, employees, and community first. We are dedicated to developing diverse, high-performing people who are passionate about what they do. If this sounds like you, we invite you to learn more about how you can join our team and grow with us.PURPOSE:
We are looking for a savvy Data Engineer to join our growing team of analytics experts. The hire will work with data from internal electric and fiber-related systems as well as external data, will be responsible for expanding and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for cross functional teams. The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. The hire must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products.DUTIES and RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Writes the most complex ETL (Extract / Transform / Load) processes, designs database systems, and develops tools for real-time and offline analytic processing.
- Troubleshoots software and processes for data consistency and integrity. Leads the integration of highly complex and large scale data from a variety of sources for business partners to generate insight and make decisions.
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture
- Create and maintain Data Lakes, Marts and Warehouse
- Translates business specifications into design specifications and code
- Establishes analytical rigor and methods for writing complex programs, ad hoc queries, and reports.
- Ensures that all code is well structured, includes sufficient documentation, and is easy to maintain and reuse.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Offer insight, guidance, and direction on the usage of emerging trends and technical capabilities.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data engineering needs.
- Effectively communicate data issues and solutions to all levels of business and operations including senior leadership.
- Take ownership of data quality, data reliability, and ranges of uncertainty around analytic results.
- Mentor other analysts and guide them to develop better analytic solutions.
CERTIFICATIONS and/or OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or related field. (An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.).
- 5+ years of experience in the data engineering, data integration, and/or data analysis fields (Master’s degree can substitute for 2 years of experience).
- Well versed in the Data domains (Data Warehousing, Data Governance, MDM, Data Quality, Data Catalog, Analytics, BI, Operational Data Store, Metadata, Unstructured Data, ETL, ESB).
- Hands on experience leading large-scale data warehousing and analytics projects.
- Experience with DevOps and Continuous Integration/Delivery (CI/CD) concepts and tools.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Skilled in documentation and database reporting for the purposes of analysis, data discovery, and decision-making with the use of relevant software such as Tableau, Cognos, or other BI reporting tools.
- Must be a self-learner and starter, willing to dig, with the ability to work independently or with teams.
- Ability to think creatively to solve complex problems.
- Ability to efficiently communicate data analytics methods and complex problems to non-technical teams and stakeholders.
- Ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges in an enterprise environment
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Jenkins, Ansible, Airflow, etc.
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc.
- Experience building and supporting cloud-based infrastructure, such as AWS/Azure/Google Cloud
- Experience with ETL tools, such as Talend, Informatica, DataStage, Alteryx, etc.
You’ll enjoy competitive compensation including an outstanding benefits and perks that fit your life, including:
WHO WE ARE:
- Health, Dental, Vision and wellness plans for you and your family – including a free on-site health clinic and on-site exercise facilities
- Educational assistance programs and programs centered on career development to help you reach your personal and career goals.
- Financial savings programs that help you plan your future - 401K, Plus a Pension Program
- Volunteer Opportunities
A GREAT PLACE TO CALL HOME:
- Recognized by J.D. Power (https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2019-electric-utility-residential-customer-satisfaction-study) customer satisfaction four years running, EPB is one of America’s largest publicly-owned energy providers. EPB is also the pioneering communications company that surprised the nation by being the first to offer gigabit speed internet services comprehensively to all residents and businesses in our market—four years before Google Fiber launched its first deployment. EPB delivers internet speeds of up to 10 gigabits per second as a standard offer to both homes and businesses along with television and telephone services.
- With the fiber optic network as the communications backbone we deployed the most advanced and automated smart grid power distribution system in the U.S. As a result, EPB has become a major research partner for the U.S. Department of Energy and Oak Ridge National Laboratory for field-testing technology and best practices including the deployment of cutting-edge smart grid equipment, micro-grid control systems, integrated storage, and much more.
- EPB is located in Chattanooga, TN, a city that Outside Magazine called the Tennessee River in a valley surrounded by mountains, Chattanooga is well known for its scenic beauty and outdoor recreation along with having the world’s fastest internet which earned it the name “Gig City.” Chattanooga also offers award-winning, downtown living, a thriving food scene, and a surprisingly low cost of living with no state income tax. As a result, Liviability.com includes Chattanooga among its Top 100 Best Places to Live (https://livability.com/best-places/top-100-best-places-to-live/2019/tn/chattanooga) and Top 10 Downtowns (https://livability.com/tn/chattanooga) .