Data Scientist (140758)Job function :
Strategy and business intelligenceMain location :
UK & Ireland-United Kingdom-West Yorkshire-LeedsSchedule :
Full-timeWorking pattern :
Up to £60K with great benefitsClosing date :
Jul 17, 2020, 5:59:00 PM
Our mission is to break down the barriers of today to release the potential of tomorrow. Join us today and release yours.
About this role
Openreach is launching a class-leading Data Science function, bringing together the best talent in analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence to pioneer this required direction. This function will work across the breadth of Openreach, from coding neural networks to predict when a network failure may occur and where, to architecting a ‘digital twin’ of Openreach’s network whereby we can simulate any behaviour on a digital replica of our physical infrastructure, and test and learn accordingly. From building a single digital thread for each of customer to create a truly tailored customer experience, to coding up the machine learning algorithms that help our cognitive robotic solutions assist our human operators to be the best that they can be. We are looking for disruptors to our normal way of working, and to pioneer the future of how we use and learn from our data.
Our belief is that there is no greater, nor more important data challenge facing a company than what faces us right now. Join us, and we can embed data at the heart of everything we do.
You'll have the following responsibilities
- Drive the exploration of data sources and analytic techniques to create new modelling approaches
- Work with large data sets to solve complex problems
- Apply statistical methods to develop analytic models
- Gather data and build data-science and algorithmic solutions to address business problems requiring descriptive, diagnostic, predictive, and / or prescriptive analytics
- Create experimentation to solve complex business problems and deliver predictions on future business outcomes in a repeatable and relevant way
- Drive new value from insights from connecting external and internal data sources
You'll have the following skills & experience
- Proficient in the use of analytical, database and visualisation tools (in particular SQL but also HQL, R, Tableau) and modelling techniques.
- Quantitative and qualitative research and analytics experience.
- Experience using big data frameworks – algorithms, tools and technologies and use of machine learning algorithms.
- Solid knowledge of statistical techniques and proficiency using statistical packages (e.g. Python or R).
- Proficiency in statistical analysis, quantitative analytics, forecasting/predictive analytics, multivariate testing, and optimization algorithms.
- Experience with geographic information systems (GIS), spatial data and spatial models, survey data etc.
- Previous experience in large-scale data mining or artificial intelligence.
- Knowledge of extracting and combining complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from multiple sources (enterprise, proprietary, IoT, public domain), including unstructured data (comment threads, audio, video)
- Working knowledge working and scaling analytic products in the Cloud
- Passion for empirical research and for answering hard questions with data.
- Strong ability to reason under uncertainty, combine analytical thinking with contextual knowledge and use critical thinking to extract and interpret information from data.
- Limitless curiosity and imagination to create novel business solutions.
- Strong communication skills and ability convey complex information into a simple high level message designed to make the case for change within the business.
- Ability to build and influence relationships with senior (up to and including director level) stakeholders across the business.
- 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays)
- 10% on target bonus
- Pension scheme
- Shares Plan
- Flexible benefits: cycle to work, childcare vouchers, healthcare, etc.
- Discounted BT products
Openreach Limited runs the nation’s digital network. We play a key role in British society, helping homes, schools, hospitals, broadcasters, government, businesses and more connect to the world.
We're a wholly owned subsidiary of BT Group, and our customers are the 640+ communications providers who sell phone, broadband and Ethernet services to homes and businesses. And we’re on a mission - to make the country’s digital network services faster, better and more affordable.
Our people are experienced, resourceful and innovative, working on vital projects that help support the nation at work, in learning, on the move, at rest, at play, in emergencies and much more.
So if you’d like to be a part of an exciting organisation that’s making a real difference, why not join us today? You can read more here about working at Openreach.
How to Apply
It's easy to apply online; you just need a copy of your up-to-date CV and to follow the step-by step process. Don't worry if you need to make changes - you'll have the opportunity to review and edit your work on the final page. We look forward to receiving your application!#LI-OR