Staff - Non Union
M&P - AAPS
AAPS Salaried - Statistical Analysis, Level A
Janjua Laboratory | Centre for Disease Control | Faculty of Medicine
$5,468.83 - $7,878.17 CAD Monthly
Posting End Date
November 27, 2021
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above.
Job End Date
Jan 3, 2023
We are seeking a data scientist who, working with a team of biostatisticians, epidemiologists and scientists will contribute to the management and analysis of data from the various integrated cohorts including COVID-19 and hepatitis. These cohorts integrate data on lab testing, confirmed diagnoses, and healthcare administrative datasets such as medical visits, hospitalizations, prescriptions, cancers and mortality.
Reports to Executive Director, Data and Analytic Services at the BC Centre for Disease Control. Liaises with other BCCDC researchers, physicians, statisticians, and epidemiologists.
- Participates in planning, implementation, analysis and interpretation of data
- Links administrative databases and develops complex data bases and data analysis programs
- Develops analysis plans and conducts analysis of linked datasets using various data science and statistical techniques
- Development of new algorithms, analysis techniques, and visualization approaches for the analysis and interpretation of data
- Participates in writing of scientific manuscripts and grants
Consequence of Error/Judgement
Accountable for the timely, accurate, and responsible analysis of patient, population, and pathogen data with important public health implications for disease control.
Oversight will be provided by the PI, however the position requires a strong independent work ethic and a candidate capable of setting their own directions and priorities within a given framework and working within agreed-upon milestones and timelines.
May be asked to supervise placement, co-op, and directed studies students in biostatistics, public health, and epidemiology.
Post-graduate degree in Statistics. Minimum of two years of related experience in research analysis, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- MSc in biostatistics, MSc in statistics, or MSc in data science with graduate courses that concentrated in data science, biostatistics preferred.
- Two (2) years of relevant recent experience, including experience in the analysis and interpretation of health-related data such as Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Health Services Research, Health Economics preferred
- Experience in working with databricks, sparkr, and other data science tools preferred
- Advanced understanding/skills in data management, statistical analysis, and reporting tools/programs (i.e. R, SQL, Python, SAS, Tableau).
- A strong background in data linkage and the analysis of large relational data base.
- A demonstrated ability to develop complex and customized queries, particularly SQL queries, for relational databases.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and system analysis skills including the ability to comprehend complex issues and related data/information.
- Demonstrated creativity in research and communication activities
- Strong evidence of self-directed, self-motivated and independent research skills
- Proven ability to develop, prioritize, implement and oversee multiple time-sensitive research projects