FULL JOB TITLE
Data Scientist (KTP Associate)
HOW TO APPLY
Please follow the link to the University of Essex website. You will be required to submit an application via our vacancy portal.
22 November 2023
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs) are a unique UK-wide activity that help businesses to improve their competitiveness and productivity by making better use of the knowledge, technology and skills within universities, colleges and research organisations. Further information is available at: www.ktponline.org.uk
The University of Essex in partnership with Applied Genomics Ltd offers an exciting opportunity to a graduate with the relevant skills and knowledge to design and deliver an ecology and biodiversity reporting repository, providing first-in-sector longitudinal and contextual analysis for marine biodiversity sampling.
This post is fixed term for 24 months and is based at Applied Genomics Ltd’s offices in Hoveton, Norfolk.
DUTIES OF THE POST
- Create software to interrogate and interact with existing molecular (metabarcoding) datasets held by Applied Genomics.
- Develop and integrate new data analysis pipelines to provide new insight into Applied Genomic’s existing datasets.
- Work closely with Applied Genomics senior bioinformaticians to modify existing informatics pipelines to enhance cross-compatibility of future datasets.
- Collaborate with the bioinformatics team to provide training / knowledge transfer on new software produced during the project.
- Support the bioinformatics team to monitor emerging technologies, research and potential partners that could enhance Applied Genomic’s operations.
- Participate in academic and/or industrial conferences and other events, to disseminate and present research outcomes to the wider community.
- Share information, insights, knowledge, and skills, and be open to feedback to develop and learn from company staff.
- Work towards the publication of peer-reviewed articles in high impact journals and conference papers in collaboration with Applied Genomics and academics at the University of Essex.
- Act as lead on this collaborative research between the University of Essex and Applied Genomics.
These duties are a guide to the work that the post holder will initially be required to undertake. They may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances.
- BSc in data science, software engineering, or relevant areas of biology (e.g. microbiology, ecology, bioinformatics/computation biology).
- MSc or PhD in a relevant field (data science, software engineering, or relevant areas of biology such as microbiology, ecology, bioinformatics/computation biology).
- Experience in creating databases and/or working with database software (e.g. MongoDB).
- Knowledge of Genomics/Genetics.
- Significant experience in bioinformatics analysis.
- Experience using object-oriented programming languages such as Java, Python, R, Matlab.
- Knowledge of data mining and machine learning techniques, such as hierarchical clustering and decision trees.
- Skills in quantitative ecology and molecular ecology data analytics.
- Knowledge of basic ecological analyses (e.g. rarefaction, diversity analyses, community composition analyses).
- Experience of working with Unix / Linux systems and / or high-performance computers
- High attention to detail and quality.
- High level of written and spoken English.
- Ability to deploy a complex project within a commercial setting, with multiple stakeholders and tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to communicate technical concepts to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Creative problem solver and willingness to acquire new skills / knowledge independently.
- A personal development budget of £4000 (exclusive of salary).
- Management training and mentoring by an Innovate UK KTP Adviser.
- An interesting and challenging role, with exposure to a variety of stakeholders.
- Full access to university resources to complete the project.
- World-leading Academic and Company project supervision, with project support by a dedicated, sector leading KTP Office.
Applied Genomics Ltd
Unit A Greengates Way
Flexible working can be discussed.
Please use the 'Apply' button to read further information about this role including the full job description and person specification which outlines the full duties, skills, qualifications and experience needed for this role. You will also find details of how to make your application here. We recommend you read this information carefully before making an application. Applications should be made on-line, but if you would like advice or help in making an application, or need information in a different format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org