Worcester, MA Category:
Education Posted On:
Sun Oct 10 2021 Job Description:
The Office of Institutional Research and Planning is a service oriented, collaborative office that provides data and analyses that help the college reach its goals as outlined in the institution's strategic plan. The office responds to ad hoc research requests and provides data and coordinates reporting efforts to fulfill accreditation, grant, federal and state reporting requirements. It supplies access to data through business intelligence and data visualization tools; co-leads strategic planning efforts; manages surveys; and coordinates efforts of IT staff and data stewards, among other responsibilities.
The Data Scientist/Research Analyst will report to the Dean, Institutional Research and Planning, and collaborate closely with IT, data stewards, and members of the IRaP staff to ensure access to data for the purpose of assessing institutional effectiveness and supporting strategic planning efforts. Among other analytical duties, the Data Scientist/Research Analyst will support the research and reporting requirements for the Success Scholars Initiative, a state supported initiative committed to equity and inclusion through effective wrap-around support.
Reports to the Dean, Institutional Research and Planning.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with IRAP team members to capture data from institutional data systems and make it accessible through programing languages such as (SQL, DAX) to IRaP staff for the purpose of reporting, analysis, and business intelligence.
- Develop and oversee ETL integration processes by monitoring daily imports, ODBC connections and event / error management.
- Coordinate efforts between data stewards and IT to systematize the collection of data required for state, federal, and other mandatory reporting requirements.
- Automate processes for routine reporting to improve efficiency.
- Collaborate with data stewards to ensure data integrity.
- Maintain SQL server views and update stored procedures.
- Translate business logic and requirements into useful and accessible data views and stored procedures.
- Develop and deploy reports, datasets, and dashboards via Tableau, PowerBI, Cognos, Excel, or other appropriate tools.
- Develop, maintain, and modify dashboards to report requested data sets to varying audiences- using SQL Server Reporting Services, PowerBI, and Tableau.
- Develop, document and/or maintain databases and processes.
- Fulfill data requirements for grant proposals.
- Prepare and submit federal and state reports including grant reporting.
- Ensure accurate, timely, and consistent reporting of institutional data and performance indicators.
- Gather and prepare data to support planning and reporting functions related to accreditation processes .
- Assist with data collection, analysis and reporting related to institutional effectiveness; respond to ad hoc research requests.
- Participate in data management efforts.
- Work actively with other areas of the college to ensure a spirit of college wide collaboration, collegiality, civility, and teamwork. Respect the function of dissent in an academic institution while advancing a collegial atmosphere of campus collaboration.
- Embrace the ideals of diversity and inclusiveness and support the equal rights of all people by advancing the understanding and appreciation of differences including age, race, gender, ability, religious convictions, socio-economic status, ethnic heritage, or sexual orientation.
- Provide flexible, responsive and high quality service to all, be they students, community, or staff, and continuously assess processes and procedures and revise accordingly.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in data science, management information systems, computer science, mathematics, statistics, or similar technical discipline.
- Experience that demonstrates the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the knowledge and abilities necessary to fulfill the job responsibilities.
- Systematic and thoughtful approach to programming, reporting, and documentation.
- Ability to think outside-the-box to develop solutions to data access, dashboards, and reports.
- Knowledge of data visualization and business intelligence tools (e.g., Tableau, Cognos, Power BI) and quantitative data analysis.
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail.
- Experience with programmatic (e.g. SQL) approaches to manipulating large datasets.
- Demonstrated ability to manage databases with an emphasis on data integrity, data quality, and designing efficient processes and mechanisms to store and retrieve data.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills and a collaborative approach to work.
- Advanced degree or certificate in data science, information systems, or similar credential.
- Work experience in database management and visualization/BI software.
- Expertise in SQL, dashboard and report development.
- Experience in an educational setting.
Hiring salary $70,000-$75,000. This is a full-time position offering a competitive salary commensurate with education and experience with a hybrid or fully remote option. Full benefit package.