College of EngineeringJob Description
The Data Analyst works independently and as a part of the MU Analytics Team to collect, analyze, and report on institutional data in support of collegewide decision-making and outcomes assessment. Reporting to the Senior Director of MU Analytics, this position is embedded in the College of Engineering and works in collaborates with Mizzou Engineering faculty and staff and campus colleagues. The position also assists with integrating data across all institutional information systems, the collection of data to complete internal data reports and projects, responding to ad hoc data requests, and performing various quantitative analyses.
- Gather and analyze data for college projects including student satisfaction, persistence, graduation rates and other studies. Assist departments and offices in the identification, and measurement of key performance indicators and outcomes to support university, college, and department strategic initiatives. Develop common metrics with leaders to support program and campus goals. Develop visualizations to explain key performance indicators and outcomes and provide feedback to departments and offices.
- Conduct high-level analysis of data to identify and understand problems through forecasting, gap analysis, quantitative reporting, research, and statistical analysis. Utilize the data to pinpoint problems and explore solutions. Utilize technical skills including proficiency with tools such as data analytic software (R, SAS, Minitab, SPlus, Power BI, Cognos, Python, Tableau) and data collection services.
- Complete and present data reports and dashboards requested by the college, departments and offices explaining complex information including recommendations based on findings from the analysis of data.
- Establish relationships with internal departments to inform data analysis and reporting.
- Design and facilitate the development of warehouse tables needed to develop automated reports and dashboards to deliver timely and up to date information delivery.
- Produce ad hoc and periodical reporting by utilizing university data, primarily by writing SQL and manipulating data in Excel. Extensively use Excel’s advanced functionality, such as pivot tables, formulas, and VBA, to develop and optimize routine reporting.
- Produce complex, action-driven, competitive intelligence products based on funding program analyses, faculty data, bibliometric trends, national datasets, etc. Develop reporting using business intelligence tools such as Tableau and Power BI.
- Effectively communicate in all modalities, explain complex concepts, and tailor communications by audience.
- Thoroughly understand and engage in process improvements for College of Engineering departments.
- Assist with developing short- and long-term analytics goals for stakeholders and units. Maintain documentation for data management, analysis and reporting activities.
$55,208 – $72,000
Grade: GGS 11
University Title: DATA ANALYST I
Internal applicants can determine their university title by accessing the Talent Profile tile in myHR.
Typically 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through; however, there may be occasions where extended hours are necessary.Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience and at least 4 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.Preferred Qualifications
4 years experience in a professional setting, preferably at an institution of higher education, experience in data analytics and reporting, as well as prudence in handling sensitive and confidential information.
- Demonstrated ability in using the Microsoft Office Suite, including an intermediate or advanced knowledge of Excel (i.e., pivot tables, formulas, etc.).
- Familiarity with data visualization tools (e.g., Tableau, Cognos) as well as experience with programmable software.
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to relay data issues in an organized and easily understandable manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a customer-service orientation, and the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with a keen orientation to detail and concern for accuracy, as well as the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Ability and desire to learn and use new software applications.
MU application, resume and cover letter
This position is eligible for University benefits. The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement, paid time off, and educational fee discounts. For additional information on University benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefitsDiversity Commitment
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence.Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Director of Employee and Labor Relations at 573-884-2577.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Director of Accessibility and ADA at 573-884-7278.EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links:
- EEO is the Law English Version
- EEO is the Law Spanish Version
- EEO is the Law Chinese Version