Do you want to be part of an organization promoting excellence, equity and public confidence in policing; one that will optimize evidence-based research and data analysis?
Do you have expert knowledge of data skills, methods, techniques, and tools, including data mining, statistical analysis and models? If so, consider this challenging opportunity with the Inspectorate of Policing, a newly established division, where you will assist with providing leadership, advice, support and education relating to data science analytics, products and tools to support system planning and decision making.Centre of Forensic Sciences
The Centre of Forensic Sciences prepares legally admissible evidence for law enforcement officers, attorneys, coroners, etc., by scientific examination of physical objects and materials. The centre also supervises Ontario's alcohol breath testing program, and trains operators. A library offers educational materials for persons and agencies using forensic science services.The Ministry
The Ministry of the Solicitor General is responsible for the safety and security of communities across Ontario through effective policing, correctional services and emergency services programs. The ministry promotes policing excellence by communicating with and providing advice to the police community, as well as through training, developing professional standards and establishing new programs. The Ontario Provincial Police provides front-line policing services to more than 400 municipal and First Nations communities. The ministry is also responsible for maintaining effective and efficient correctional programs that create an environment where offenders are better able to return to the community and make positive contributions to society. Through the work of the Office of the Chief Coroner, Office of the Fire Marshal, Centre of Forensic Sciences and Emergency Management Ontario, the ministry seeks to minimize or eliminate hazards to people and property.
What can I expect to do in this role?
As Data Scientist, you will:
- Develop data science analytic approaches such as machine learning, deep learning, and natural language programming
- Assist with the development of compelling and effective data visualizations
- Develop interactive dashboards, reports and data visualizations allowing the end-user to explore data and discover insights independently
- Provide data services, interpretation, advice, peer reviews and expertise to client groups and stakeholders
- Communicate data through presentations and interactive dashboards
- Lead/participate in special projects and represents the Ministry on internal/external advisory groups, working groups, task forces and committees
- Lead the design, development and implementation of prototypes and proof of concepts for data, analytic and predictive models, research products and analysis platforms
How do I qualify?
- You demonstrate knowledge of data skills, methods, techniques, and tools, including data mining, statistical analysis, statistical models and algorithms on machine learning, deep learning, natural language processing, artificial intelligence and other related disciplines
- You understand information management, data management, financial and business analysis, database architecture, and data related concepts such as data preparation, data integration, data anonymization, data extract/transform/load (ETL), data warehousing, data lineage, metadata management, master data management, and data governance
- You have knowledge and experience in the use of mathematics, statistics and scientific methods
- You have knowledge of methods such as machine learning/deep learning/neural networks
- You understand legislative regulations, policies and guidelines, ministry programs/services and policy development processes, data standards (e.g. GO-ITS) and privacy legislation (e.g. FIPPA) related to access and release of personal information and data
Research, Analytical and Problem-Solving Skills
- Apply investigation and risk management principles to research, identify, plan for, and mitigate risks
- Synthesize facts, theories, trends, inferences, and key issues and/or themes in complex and variable situations
- Analyze data in source systems to identify data quality issues (e.g., missing values, duplicate meanings, and invalid data)
- Manipulate and analyze complex, high-volume data from structured, unstructured and semi-structured sources, and multi-dimensional datasets with a variety of tools
- Identify and assess information, data needs and requirements to support business plans/practices and business goals/objectives
- Assess qualitative and quantitative information to evaluate the implications and impact of proposed policy changes
- Use creative thinking and propose innovative ways as it relates to data mining, behavioural economics, statistics and statistical models, algorithms, data integration, information management, predictive analytics and analytics modeling, and data-related information technology
Consultation, Advisory and Communication Skills
- Consensus-building skills to maintain strong work relationships and develop support for key initiatives, and ensure that initiatives reflect coordinated input from all key players
- Negotiation and consultation skills to resolve contentious issues, maximize team contributions, and produce required deliverables
- Advisory skills to act as an expert corporate resource on evidence-based decision making, performance measurement, program evaluation, accountability, government effectiveness and efficiency, and results-based management
- Communication skills to prepare technical and non-technical status reports, planning documents, and operational policies, and provide explanations on data issues and complex data analyses
Coding and Computer Skills
OPS Commitment to diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and anti- racism:
- Experience with coding skills in various data languages (e.g. R, Python, DAX, VBA, SQL, Hadoop MapReduce, etc.) and proficiency with various desktop/cloud statistical computing, modeling, analytics and data visualization software tools (e.g. SPSS, SAS base, SAS visual analytics, R Studio, R Shiny, Tableau, Microsoft Excel, PowerBI, etc.)
- Computer proficiency to access databases, conduct research and use applications to retrieve and manipulate data from databases located on different platforms
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit theOPS Anti-Racism Policy
and theOPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint
pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code
. Refer to the application instructions below if you require a disability-related accommodation.