Managing a fleet of ten thousand Zipcars across multiple geographies is tough. The Data Science Engineering team builds the software to solve this. We are focused on building time series models for geospatial data to optimally allocate Zipcars to specific geographic areas. Cities are constantly changing. Therefore, we must dynamically adjust our models appropriately. This poses challenging modeling and operations research problems.
What you’ll do:
- Deliver model improvements for predicting future Zipcar demand
- Build a robust model validation framework
- Exploration of which geographical characteristics of neighborhoods are strong predictors for Zipcar demand
- Release model improvements to production to have real-time impact Zipcar’s day to day operations
- Consider the broader business implications of modeling changes
What You’ll love about being a Zipster in the Data Science Engineering Team
- Data and evidence-based decision making from the top down
- Best in class Data Science and Data Engineering tech stack. Python, Dask, Jupyterlab, Redshift, PostGIS, AWS
- You will have time to dig deep into subject areas of importance. Reading cutting edge papers, blogs, and books is encouraged and supported
- Only a few meetings, but lots of deep work. You will have time to focus on writing code rather than sitting on zoom
- The rest of the Data Science team will review your code and conclusions. This process will level up you and the team.
- You will have a lot of responsibility and autonomy on projects. You will be able to see a clear business impact from your work
- We also love emoji’s, gifs, and team happy hour with online games (think Jackbox TV, Among us, Pictionary).
What drives success for this role:
- Comfortable building and validating models in either Python or Julia
- Comfortable writing SQL and evaluating the quality of input data
- Experience working with spatial data
- Strong problem-solving skills
- The ability to understand business tradeoffs when building models. I.e., Time x Complexity vs. real-world impact.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or above in a Scientific field. Ideally Mathematics, CS, or Engineering.
- Strong written communication. This is how we document our findings and methodology.
- Experience working with time series models is desirable
- Transportation sector or lab experience desirable
What tops off the tank:
- Competitive Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and Disability Insurance and other voluntary benefits through our parent company, Avis Budget Group
- Generous paid time off, including holidays, vacation, personal, sick, volunteer and Parental Leave options
- Tax-free benefit for public transportation or parking expenses
- Bicycle Reimbursement program
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with company matched contributions
- Free Zipcar Membership and other employee discounts, including discounts on renting and buying Avis/Budget cars
- Community involvement opportunities
Who are we?
Glad you asked! Zipcar is the world’s leading car-sharing network, found in urban areas and university campuses in more than 500 cities and towns. Our team is smart, creative and fun, and we’re driven by a mission – to enable simple and responsible urban living.
Being a Zipcar member gives you easy access to a car nearby without all the cost and hassle of owning one. Founded in 2000, Zipcar disrupted – or innovated – the traditional model of car ownership and independent studies show that Zipcar’s model of car sharing is proven to reduce vehicle ownership, freeing up more city space for people. Zipcar provides members with socially responsible, sustainable mobility options that support the global environment, their communities and city livability.
Zipcar is a subsidiary of Avis Budget Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: CAR), a leading global provider of mobility solutions. For more information, visit: www.zipcar.com.
The extra mile:
We encourage Zipsters to bring their whole selves to work - unique perspectives, personal experiences, backgrounds, and however they identify. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer – M/F/D/V.