Help us grow into an ever-evolving marketplace. Seeking a seasoned Senior Machine Learning Engineer to help solve critical problems within our industry.
WHAT WE DO
Betterview is the only property data platform that informs every transaction for decision-makers who want to reduce risk, cost & waste in an increasingly competitive environment. We provide software and services that capture, organize, and analyze data for buildings and properties to unlock valuable insight. Our company is quickly becoming essential to every transaction by making every property thoroughly understood.
Every day, our team is focused on the needs of our customers. We strive to earn their trust by providing valuable, accurate insight that is important to their businesses. We provide our customers with information that is not only useful to their business decisions but is easy to use. We combine high quality human interactions with sleek, intuitive design and are pioneers on the journey alongside our customers, who are transforming the way they do business with data-driven decision-making.
Betterview is opening up an exciting opportunity to join its machine learning team. We are expanding and looking for people who are as passionate about solving tough problems as we are. In this role, you will train computer vision models on aerial imagery as well as build out our machine learning infrastructure as we continue to grow. Some of the critical problems we're solving are:
- How can we keep improving our image classification and semantic segmentation models?
- What additional value can we add by integrating other sources of information?
- How can we better create and work with existing building footprints from aerial imagery?
- How can we tell how well a property will interact with the upcoming storm season?
- How will the property handle a brush fire in the near area?
- How can we better determine the age of a roof?
- How can we be more efficient about labeling and curating our training data?
- How can we increase the speed and efficiency of predictions?
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
- Training computer vision models to analyze buildings and properties, identify aspects of interest to insurance companies. You will work with datasets created and curated by the data science team.
- Leading efforts at expanding and improving existing machine learning code base. This includes adding to our dataset generation, training, and evaluation pipelines.
- Identifying areas where Betterview should branch out and implement new machine learning systems and techniques
- Exploring new techniques in computer vision. Follow the latest trends in computer vision and apply cutting-edge research to our challenges.
- Evaluating classifiers and work with the data science team to promote the best models
- Building and improving our code base
- You will be a core member of the machine learning team, so the ability to work and thrive in a team environment is essential
WHAT YOU WILL BRING TO OUR COMPANY
- Experience training deep learning models for computer vision tasks
- Strong knowledge of machine learning fundamentals, such as linear algebra, calculus, statistics, statistical learning, and pattern recognition
- Strong understanding of machine learning design principles (e.g. training and validation, regularization, boosting, etc.)
- Strong coding skills and good knowledge of computer science fundamentals (algorithms, data structures, time complexity)
- Experience with and interest in working in Python
- Experience with modern deep learning frameworks such as TensorFlow/Keras, PyTorch, or Jax
- Experience with common data science tools, such as Jupyter Notebooks, numpy, pandas, scikit-learn
- Interest in reading academic papers and trying to implement state-of-the-art experimental systems
- Familiarity with modern deep learning architectures, such as ResNet, UNet, etc
- Knowledge of imagery analysis techniques
- Relevant degrees (especially advanced ones) are always a plus, but we know great machine learning engineers can come from all backgrounds
- Knowledge of data query and data processing tools (i.e. SQL).
- Experience working with relational database tools such as PostgreSQL.
- Experience working with cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCP, and Azure).
- Experience with version control systems such as git/GitHub.
- Publications in relevant conferences, such as CVPR, NeurIPS, ICCV, ICML, ICLR are a major plus.
- Experience with building footprint registration.
- Experience with aerial imagery.
- Experience writing production code.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
- Competitive compensation
- Generous Health benefits – medical, dental and vision
- Offering Kaiser and Blue Shield
- Offering Kaiser and Blue Shield
- Providing PPO plans, PPO plans, and HDHP options.
- Betterview covers 50% of employee premium, 10% of dependents
- For dental and vision, Betterview covers 75% of the premium for employees.
- FSA and HSA
- Retirement Plan
- Betterview matches 100% of employee contributions up to the first 3% of pay, then 50% of employees contributions on the next 2% of pay
- Paid holidays
- Charity contribution matches, up to $100
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- All employees receive 160 hours per year of paid time off, with accrual every pay period.
- Typical work schedule is Monday – Friday (8:30am-5pm)
Betterview provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetics, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. In addition to federal law requirements, Betterview complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Betterview will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
Betterview will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. If you're applying for a position in San Francisco, review the guidelines applicable in your area.
Betterview expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Betterview employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.