This is an exciting opportunity to work in a collaborative partnership between the University of the West of England (UWE) and Metrea Mission Data (MMD) under the UK Government sponsored Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) programme. The position is a 24-month fixed term contract, which includes management and business skills training provided by the national KTP programme and a further £2k per annum dedicated training budget tailored towards your personal development.
Metrea Mission Data (MMD), a business unit within Metrea, are experts at capturing and missionising data that can be exploited at the speed of relevance to deliver information and decision advantage from the strategic to tactical level. A combination of extensive operational experience and expertise in ISR operations, Tactical Data Links, Data Analytics and Cyber Security enables them to deliver a full stack of services, delivering high-impact outcomes for our customers and partners.
With specialist support from the Centre for Machine Vision academic team at UWE Bristol, you will lead on a 24-month project where you will analyse images and video footage of Resident Space Objects (RSOs) in Low Earth Orbit. Your deep learning analysis of these distance objects will aim to enable identification, size estimation and other characteristics.
UWE Bristol and Metrea Mission Data celebrate diversity and seek talented people from all backgrounds to join us.Essential skills required:
Desirable skills required:
- Computer vision and ML skills including image identification and object detection.
- Understand AI and machine learning frameworks and relevant imaging systems and machine vision techniques. e.g., Tensorflow, Pytorch, OpenCV
- Experience with text based programming such as Python and MATLAB
- Keen to challenge existing Space Domain Awareness approaches
- Being able to think logically and develop creative approaches to problem solving.
- Experience in implementing and managing a technical project successfully and able to direct own research.
- High level of numeracy and the ability to interpret data
- Knowledge of Astrodynamics with early orbit determination and light-curve analysis
- Experience in complex and rapidly evolving environment
- Experience of independent experimental research (e.g. postgraduate or industrial project).
- Ability to keep up to date with ongoing research associated with current projects.
- Some knowledge of space technologies and applications an advantage
- Masters in STEM
Minimum 2I degree in relevant STEM discipline.Based at:
Metrea Mission Data, Oxfordshire (Hybrid Remote)Website
: Space | Metrea Mission Data
Interested candidates are strongly advised to contact Lyndon Smith to discuss the project along with any questions you have. E-mail: Lyndon.firstname.lastname@example.org