Macy’s is proudly America’s Department Store. For more than 160 years, Macy’s has served generations at every stage of their lives. Customers come to us for fashion, value and celebration. Now is an exciting time to join Macy’s, Inc. The face of retail is changing, and change requires innovation.
Macy’s Digital business is in the top 10 largest in the U.S. (#1 largest in NYC) and has driven 10 consecutive years of double-digit growth. We’re building a new type of customer-centric shopping experience - at the intersection of content, commerce, and technology - to help customers find and buy products they love.
Do you want to collaborate with a smart and talented team in a fun work environment? This is a unique opportunity to join an established company that is investing in development and growing digital business at scale. Gain first-hand experience defining the future of online and physical commerce. With a constant influx of exciting and challenging problems to solve - you'll never have a boring day at the office. We also offer many roles with the freedom to build and lead a team. Join Macy’s Digital to grow your career and help shape the future of an iconic brand.
The Lead Data Engineer will develop, test and maintain architecture, including databases and processing systems, to support a robust analytical pipeline that facilitates priority analytics use cases. The Lead Data Engineer will ensure these data processing capabilities meet business requirements, use case and user needs while providing reliable, efficient and quality data.
Data Management & Preparation
- Adhere to processes to ensure data pulled from various sources meets quality standards, is curated and enhanced for analytical use and there is a single source of truth
- Work with counterparts from Tech to build frameworks that integrate data pipelines and machine learning models that facilitate use by data scientists for priority use cases; Enterprise Data and Analytics team focused on last mile transformations on select data required for use cases
- Maintain database structure and standard definitions for business users across Macy's
- Work with data architects to build the foundational extract / load / transform process and regularly review the architecture and recommend effectiveness improvements
- Collaborate with Technology to future-proof data & analytics software, tools and code to reduce risk and support pipeline owners
- Work with Legal and Privacy teams to adhere to data privacy and security standards
- Work with Data Architect to implement the data models, standards and quality rules
- Work with the Data Science team to understand data formatting and sourcing needs to enable them to build out use cases as efficiently as possible
- Community builder to foster data and analytics culture and to support data-driven thinking and discussions across priority analytics use case
- Embody data-driven culture at Macy's
- Bolster awareness, knowledge and conviction around data-driven practices and behaviors, increasing digital IQ of Business Units
- Proactively raise data issues and take action to remediate
- Support business users in identifying the correct data sets and providing easy to use tools to pull data
Key Performance Indicators
- Quantity, type, and quality of databases and pipelines, in partnership with Technology
- Compliance with relevant laws and regulations , in partnership with Legal/Privacy
- Automation of data cleansing and harmonization processes in refined/trusted zones
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Bachelor's Degree from a 4-year college or university
- 3-5 years related experience
- 5+ years of work experience, and at least 3 years of demonstrable experience in the role’s relevant technologies and field of expertise
- Ability to write production level code, assess databases and leverage Big Data technologies on Google Cloud Platform to support downstream analytics
- Familiarity with data architecture, modeling and security
- Experience in distributed computing and enterprise environment
- Ability to effectively share technical information, communicate technical issues and solutions to all levels of business
- Able to juggle multiple projects - can identify primary and secondary objectives, prioritize time and communicate timeline to team members
- Ability and desire to take product/project ownership
- Ability to think creatively, strategically and technically
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and Company needs.
This job description is not all-inclusive, and Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy’s Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Candidates for positions in San Francisco ONLY can review their rights and the Company’s obligations under SFPC Art. 49 here. Candidates for positions in Los Angeles ONLY can review their rights and the Company’s obligations under LA MC Ch. XVIII Art. 9 here. Candidates for positions in Philadelphia ONLY can review their rights and the Company’s obligations under PC Ch. 9-3500 here.