Title: Laboratory Surveillance Data Analyst
Department: Lab Science
Job ID: 21-0084
Great people, exceptional teams building a stronger Public Health Ontario.
We are Public Health Ontario (PHO). We live our values as a shared promise to each other, our clients and our partners. We value credibility, innovation, responsiveness, collaboration, integrity and respect. With our partners in Ontario's health system, we monitor and address the needs of the population by providing the scientific evidence and expert guidance that shapes policies and practices for a healthier Ontario. With locations across Ontario, we are working to ensure that Ontario has the strongest public health system in the world so that every day Ontarians wake up in one of the safest places to live in the world.
For more information about PHO, visit www.publichealthontario.ca
Position Title: Laboratory Surveillance Data Analyst
Department: Laboratory Information
Location: 661 University Ave., Toronto
Number of Opportunities: Type: FT Permanent
Hours of work: 36.25 hours per week
Compensation Group: AMAPCEO
Salary: $55,217 to $71,967 yearly
Posting Date: February 4, 2021
Closing Date: February 18, 2021
To lead the development and implementation of a robust genomics program at Public Health Ontario (PHO) to monitor genomic changes and rapid detection of emerging variants of pathogens of public health significance for Ontario.
PHO has been mandated by the province to lead the establishment of a hub and spoke model for integrated program model for COVID-19 genomics in Ontario, working in collaboration with Ontario Health and other clinical laboratories and researchers undertaking genomics. The program will enable and support early identification and containment, enhanced case and contact management, outbreak management, surveillance and epidemiological analysis and reporting.
As the hub for this program, PHO will increase its capacity to undertake genomics for COVID-19 variants of concern and contribute to sequencing up to 1000 specimens a week (of the anticipated provincial total sequencing need of 2000 specimens per week). PHO will also provide enhanced COVID-19 analytics and host a provincial expert advice on variants of concern (VoC) to provide advice to decision-makers for improved methods, tracking and interpretation of emerging mutations and variants, and meaningful public health action.
The immediate focus is to strengthen and expand COVID-19 genomics program resulting in direct medical and/or public health action for the pandemic response. The goal of this program is to enable the delivery of an integrated genomics initiative for Ontario's COVID-19 public health response.
- Extracts data for projects by executing computer programs for data extraction and facilitates the creation of data sets that accurately reflect test results in their biological context using spreadsheets and statistical software packages (e.g., Excel, Access, SAS, SPSS).
- Uses both commercial and custom built LIMS software (Labware/Labyrinth) to understand laboratory data structure, interpret test result representation, and identify suitable data quality test cases.
- Provides support for ad hoc or outbreak related data requests including database development, data management, data quality and regular reporting as needed.
- Works with laboratory staff, scientists, principal investigators, and epidemiologists to develop laboratory data set creation plans.
- Assists in the development and application of data governance policies and data request intake processes.
- Determines methods to format, manipulate and transfer data to meet client data needs including conducting analysis and preparing outputs for further analyses and interpretation by PHO scientific, academic and other content experts.
- Supports the department's data quality assurance efforts through the application and development of proven analytical approaches to identify errors or limitations in the data and to improve data validity.
- Assists with development, testing and deployment of relevant software applications as required including recommendations for improvement.
- Contributes to the ongoing development of clear and concise standard operation procedures for data set creation, analysis, reporting and quality assurance
- Performs data quality troubleshooting and problem resolution including root cause analysis.
- Completes data summaries, reports, and other documentation according to applicable standards, guidelines, policies and legislation.
- Works closely with laboratory operations managers and staff to ensure data suitability and relevance for laboratory process quality improvement.
- Other assigned tasks on surveillance and data analysis as required.
Knowledge and Skills-
- Knowledge of other software packages and programming languages to develop programs as necessary for data manipulation, collection, reporting and analysis.
- Knowledge of laboratory processes and techniques related to clinical microbiological testing for data contextualization.
- Knowledge of the provincial public health laboratory system for understanding the limitations of PHOL data holdings.
- Skill and expertise in protocol development and tool design to conduct data collection, analysis and interpretation to identify issues requiring further investigation.
- Knowledge of epidemiology and scientific research concepts to effectively understand and apply stakeholder requirements.
- Skill in effective time management methods to plan and execute data set creation and analysis plans for projects.
Education and Experience-
- TA Bachelor's degree in health science with preference given to Master's degree or other post graduate degree in health informatics or public health.
- 2+ years of experience working in a laboratory setting.
- Skill in the use of data sets, spreadsheets, databases and statistical software such as MS Office products, SAS, SPSS, Stata and Access to transform complex laboratory data into accurate, relevant datasets.
Attributes and Competencies-
- Works as a collaborative team member while developing professional networks/partnerships.
- Exercises teamwork and leadership in maintaining effective linkages with all levels of contacts, both internal and external to PHO.